Friday, March 14, 2014

The Summer I Found You


The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry


 

I loved this pairing of two characters with not only character flaws and major baggage, but also physical handicaps too.

As unfortunate as it is this YA/NA book hits home for many young people today.  As a school nurse, I have several type I diabetic students and the struggles they face on a daily basis is enough to crack the toughest adults.  These kids deal with it like a champ, but also have a daily challenge to fit in. 

The emotions in this book are spot on!  Most of my students just want for someone to think of them as normal. 

The plot is genius.  I loved the struggles, emotions, and characters in this book.

Synopsis:

All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.

Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment