Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Ten Tiny Breaths Series by KA Tucker

Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

 4 Stars
Ten Tiny Breaths is the first book in the self titled new series by K.A. Tucker.  Everywhere I have looked lately, from blogs and Amazon to BAM, I have seen this cover and read rave reviews.  I thought it was time for me to read and review this book.

I get what all the hype is about, but to me this book was a 4 star book.  This is a good book and I am giving it a good review, but with all the hype and build up I kind of feel let down.  I was expecting this great gut-wrenching tear-jerker with an unbelievable wow factor and it was just good.

I liked the plot and as I was reading and reading and reading it sounded like every other NA out there, but about 80% in it took a turn for the better and I ended up loving it.  It took a lot of character and plot building and a lot of page turns to get there.  I was interested in the characters and did not skim or jump pages so it did keep my interest although I felt something lacking until ¾ of the way through.

I fell in love with the characters immediately and was sympathetically vested in all of the characters.  I loved the supporting characters and felt they kept the story moving toward the better.  The plot was something unique and unexpectedly heart breaking at the same time ALMOST moving me to tears, but not quite. 

All in all, there was too much hype leaving me a little disappointed.  I really was expecting a 5 star book.  I am happy to give this remarkable book 4 SOLID stars.  It could have been a more emotional and moving for me.  The ending (last few chapters and epilogue) felt the slightest bit rushed.  I would have like to seen a great reunion that brought me to tears.  Regardless, I will continue this series because I absolutely love these characters.

Synopsis:

Kacey Cleary’s whole life imploded four years ago in a drunk-driving accident. Now she’s working hard to bury the pieces left behind—all but one. Her little sister, Livie. Kacey can swallow the constant disapproval from her born-again aunt Darla over her self-destructive lifestyle; she can stop herself from going kick-boxer crazy on Uncle Raymond when he loses the girls’ college funds at a blackjack table. She just needs to keep it together until Livie is no longer a minor, and then they can get the hell out of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

But when Uncle Raymond slides into bed next to Livie one night, Kacey decides it’s time to run. Armed with two bus tickets and dreams of living near the coast, Kacey and Livie start their new lives in a Miami apartment complex, complete with a grumpy landlord, a pervert upstairs, and a neighbor with a stage name perfectly matched to her chosen “profession.” But Kacey’s not worried. She can handle all of them. What she can’t handle is Trent Emerson in apartment 1D.

Kacey doesn’t want to feel. She doesn’t. It’s safer that way. For everyone. But sexy Trent finds a way into her numb heart, reigniting her ability to love again. She starts to believe that maybe she can leave the past where it belongs and start over. Maybe she’s not beyond repair.

But Kacey isn’t the only one who’s broken. Seemingly perfect Trent has an unforgiveable past of his own; one that, when discovered, will shatter Kacey’s newly constructed life and send her back into suffocating darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment