Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Truth About You & Me

The Truth About You & Me by Amanda Grace
 

3 Stars

The Truth About You & Me by author Mandy Hubbard writing under pen name Amanda Grace.  This book is due to release in September 8, 2013. 

I just finished this book and the first thing that pops into my mind is Shepard’s Pretty Little Liars meet Sparks’ Dear John, but not quite as good as (I mean no one can write romance like Sparks).  The cover caught my eye and after reading the blurb I knew I had to read this book.  It mentioned in the blurb that the story was told in letters, but I did not realize that the entire book was one huge letter.  You will either love or hate this writing technique.  There are no chapter breaks, no stopping points and for me I had to change my reading style.  I usually stop at the end of a chapter if I need a break, but I went with it and read it in one sitting.  It was not one of those stories that you can’t put down but rather don’t know where to put it down. 

In this unique story telling style will learn that Madelyn Hawkins is a sixteen year old college freshman who is still in high school in a fast track program to earn college credit.  She has always done everything her parents wanted in school and does not have any friends.  She describes herself as a wet blanket.  Her life takes a dramatic turn when she walks in to biology class and sees her professor Bennett Cartwright ten years her senior.  With one glance at Mr. Cartwright her world stops and she develops her first crush.  These letters tell her story of lies, love, and betrayal.

Ok, I thought that Maddie was a little obsessive and crazy almost stalker like until I remembered how I was with my first crush.  Then I realized the author hit the nail on the head with this story.  I wanted the characters to get there happily ever after and thought they might, but then I thought that a relationship can not be built on lies so I was on the fence as to how I wanted this book to end.  I didn’t really know where the author was gong with this story, but she did not disappoint with the ending that she gave readers.  After the long letters and build up of this relationship I felt the ending to be rushed but the closure was there. 

If you are look for a different take a love story then pick up this book.

Synopsis:

Madelyn Hawkins is super smart. At sixteen, she's so gifted that she can attend college through a special program at her high school. On her first day, she meets Bennet. He's cute, funny, and kind. He understands Madelyn and what she's endured - and missed out on - in order to excel academically and please her parents. Now, for the first time in her life, she's falling in love.

There's only one problem. Bennet is Madelyn's college professor, and he thinks she's eighteen - because she hasn't told him the truth.

The story of their forbidden romance is told in letters that Madelyn writes to Bennet - both a heart-searing ode to their ill-fated love and an apology.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment