Thursday, April 25, 2013

Runes Series

Runes (Book One) by Ednah Walters


This upcoming series Runes has a release date of May 20, 2013 and it is something to get excited about folks. The cover is bad, the synopsis is good, what do I do; read it or pass? I gave it a shot and I am so glad that I did not pass on this one.

With this wickedly unique series, think The Lux series by Jennifer Armentrout meets Existence Trilogy by Abbi Glines with twists and turns along the way, you can not go wrong. Lux and Existence are my top two YA paranormal series and now I am adding the third in line with Runes. I have read reviews where this book has been compared to Cassandra Clare’s The Mortal Instrument Series, but I don’t see that (I was not a fan of this series).

The first few chapters were very descriptive setting the scene as well as giving the whole book a “real” vibe. The characters were very well thought out and the plot was perfect. The love connection and romantic tension between Raine and Torin was HOT! However, I did not like that Eirik just woke up one day and wanted to be with Raine, I mean who does that. They have been best friends forever and she has been in love with him since preschool; then when a mysterious next door neighbor shows up you take the plunge (don’t get me started). This did make the whole book with the love triangle but had me infuriated with Eirik’s character being selfish.

Can you say CLIFFHANGER? I read and reread, and cussed, and reread again the ending of this novel and I can not believe the author can really leave us hanging like that. Way to crush a girl! Then I thought this is genius, but I have to wait, what now? Please, Mrs. Walters please tell me I do not have to wait that long before I get more Torin and Raine.

Raine Cooper, high school swim team member, is trying to wrap her head around a tragic plane crash that leaves her father missing. She has supportive friends in her BFF Cora and boyfriend/guy pal Eirik to help her through these tuff times. Enter (or rather a knock at the door) Torin St. James (the hottest guy since Travis Maddox of the Beautiful series by Jamie McGuire and Beau Vincent of the Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines), sex on a stick with a bad attitude to boot and new next door neighbor to Raine. This sex pot has it all from a barely furnished bachelor pad with a Harley to boot and the mysterious quality has all the girls wanting to get to know him better. Raine has that feeling too, but just starting a relationship that is not well defined with Eirik, and weird things happening in her life she just wants to forget Torin. Torin may be the key to unlocking her questions and all the unexplained events happening, but can she trust him with her life.

This series hands down is the best one I have started all year. I give this book all 5 stars and hope to read the next installment sooner rather than later. One request, a better cover that's the only thing I could find that I didn't really love.







2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for reviewing this! I am part of an upcoming tour for Runes, but I have not read it yet. I will probably start on it after I finish my current book. Lux and Existence are 2 of my top favorites, so now that you compared it to them, I can't wait to start.
    ~Sycho Faerie
    Sycho Faerie's Book Obsession

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem...I loved this one! It. Is still stuck in my head I need book two now lol.

    ReplyDelete